Garbage disposals have a reputation for being stinky because of all the various foods that goes down the drain. Fortunately, you can counter the stench with another type of food--lemon. Follow these handy at-home tricks for deodorizing your garbage disposal.
Lemons are a type of citrus fruit that provide a strong yet refreshing scent that will linger in your sink. Not only do they improve the disposal's smell, the rough surface of the skin can clean the blades. Getting rid of the gunk will eliminate future mystery odors.
When life gives you lemons . . . cut them up and chuck them in the garbage disposal! If you don't have lemons handy, some plain lemon juice works as a great sub. Turn on the garbage disposal and let the lemons go to work.
Lemon-Vinegar Ice Cubes
Vinegar and ice cubes are other recommended approaches for cleaning the garbage disposal. So why not combine these ingredients with lemons by following these steps:
- Cut up some lemons so they can each fit in an ice tray. Place the lemons in the rectangles.
- Fill the compartments with vinegar. Vinegar is a great agent for removing odors.
- Freeze the ice trays. When they solidify as ice cubes, pour them down the drain and turn on the garbage disposal. Ice is an excellent way to remove crud from the blades.
Lemon and Baking Soda
Baking soda is another fantastic deodorizer. So cut up some lemons, throw them in the garbage disposal, and toss in a fistful of baking soda. Turn on the faucet and let the garbage disposal work its magic.
Alternatively, you can try another tip for once a week. Mix half cup of baking soda with half cup lemon juice. Nuke this combo for 30 seconds in the microwave. Turn on the garbage disposal while pouring your solution down the drain. Lastly, crank on some hot water for a couple seconds.
One other idea is to try these steps:
- Mix a quarter cup of lemon juice with a quarter cup of baking soda.
- Expect this combination to fizzle. It's then you want to pour this mixture down the garbage disposal.
- Let the liquid do its thing for 5 minutes before running cold water over the sink for about a minute.
As you can see, lemons are a great and easy DIY method for taking care of a stinky problem. Follow these tips and enjoy the citrus aroma.
To learn more about garbage disposal cleaning, contact a company like Oscar Disposal Ltd.